Great Value for Newark Landlords
Newark was named after Newark Castle, Port Glasgow, in Scotland by J. Barr Robertson.
Before it was settled by Europeans, Newark was home to the Ohlone Native American Peoples. The first European settlement in the area was by the Spanish missionaries of Mission San José, whose territory covered much of the present-day cities of Newark, Fremont, and Union City. In 1878 land belonging to Washington Township of Alameda County was purchased by The Pacific Land Investment Company and subdivided to form the town of Newark.
Newark was incorporated in September 1955.